PINE ISLAND AMERICAN LEGION POST 136
Phone Number 239-283-4434
October 2, 2020
American Legion Family Members,
After the issuance of the Governor's Executive Order 20-244 on September 25th there was a lot of confusion as to whether our Social Quarters could be open to 100 percent or not and also whether or not masks and social distancing were still required.
The Governor's Executive Order 20-244 was actually titled "Phase 3; Right to Work; Business Certainty; Suspension of Fines. " I and the staff in your Department Headquarters have been in contact with many in both the Government offices and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation to ensure we get the best information out to you. It appears that the purpose of the Executive Order was to move the State to Phase 3 and to clarify to the three counties that were impeding businesses from opening to ensure they could open.
Depending upon which County your Post Home is located in that is what determines the percent occupancy that is permitted for you to operate at.
In Executive Order 20-244, the Governor stated:
"Restaurants, including any establishment with a food service license, may not be limited by a COVID-19 emergency order by any local government to less than fifty percent (50%) of their indoor capacity."
- So, by virtue of that statement, we can all agree and it has been confirmed, that all Posts in the Department of Florida, unless ordered closed by some order of a Government Agency or the Department of Business and Professional Regulations (DBPR), can be open to a minimum of 50% occupancy.
The Executive Order goes on to state...
"If a restaurant is limited to less than one hundred percent (100%) of its indoor capacity, such COVID-19 emergency order must on its face satisfy the following:
- quantify the economic impact of each limitation or requirement on those restaurants; and
- explain why each limitation or requirement is necessary for public health."
- So, by virtue of that statement in the Executive Order, Posts need to check with their local municipalities and Counties to ascertain if there are any restrictions to prohibit them from resuming business to 100% indoor capacity.
- Currently, they (the Government and Private Industry) are still working on a vaccine to prevent the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus (and avoid exposing other people).
Since our charter on July 1, 1980, American Legion Post 136 of Florida has been welcoming Veterans from all branches of our Armed Forces. Today, we continue to welcome all military personnel serving our country. Joining our Post enables you to continue serving your God, Country, and Community.
We have an active and exceptional Auxiliary, Sons of the Legion, and Legion Riders organizations. We celebrate our ladies and men of these organizations and are so much stronger for their continued support and participation.